A glimpse to the history of Hotel Schmidbräu (historic brewery)
Over the centuries till the end of World War II., the brewing beer was the „liquid gold“ for the Schmid family.
The Schmids also owned a homestead, which they had to end in 1959 because of the flourishing gastronomy. In the place of today's hotel there used to be horse stables and a barn, which was later changed into an apartment for the family guests. Under the barn (today's the alehouse and the congress hall), there were a store room and an ice cellar. Both were needed for storage of barley malt.The ice was brought by coaches from „Irhweiher“ - some 15 minutes far from Weiher.
As it is written on the stone plaque near the alehouse entrance, this house, which burned down several times in the past, was restored by Daniel Brückel. Unfortunately, because of financial problems, he was forced to put it up for sale in 1869.
In 1871 the house got to hands of Johan Nepomuk Schmid, born in 1841, and his wife Anna Rockinger, a daughter of a Waldmünchen cook.
Mr Schmid, the brewer master, coming from Gleisenberg, gave his name to the hotel. Not only the name connects the hotel with the old brewery. For example, there is the original gate-way. In the alehouse you can see the tile stove, and the extant plans of the brewery.
Because the house and the brewery goods were very damaged after World War II., the new build up was realized, mainly thanks to the Reimer family.
At the time of economy boom Hotel Schmidbräu experienced real prosperity heydays. Under the leadership of Franz Reimer and his son Hans Reimer there were continual renovations and wide construction work. Then Hotel Schmidbräu got its nowadays looks and , according to German hotel classification, it is of a three-star standard.